Methi pulao/Rice.


Methi rice or Methi pulav, is a wonderful rice dish made with methi/fenugreek leaves. Fenugreek is very good to lower your blood sugar levels....it is very diabetic friendly...it is said in ayurveda that a few methi seeds in the morning will help in controlling diabetics.

My Coorgi friend Simi Mutthappa is a wonderful cook and she makes excellent methi pulao....the first time I had this pulao at her place....it was like I thought what did she add extra to make this pulav soooo flavourful other than the methi leaves.....and as we became great friends she shared this recipe.....and whenever I make this for my family and friends.....the same question is always asked "what did u add to get this flavor??". Simi and her husband Mutthappa has a home-stay in Mercara near the Old Race Course Road.....the up-stair part they have converted beautifully into a home-stay....and has excellent views of Mercara...did I mention that Simi is a wonderful cook.....she makes the most fluffiest akki rotis....her chilly pork is a must have with kadumputtu....and she makes sundried pork fry.....not to mention her homemade coffee liqueur...... if any of my blogger friends visit Coorg....I recommend their home-stay as the perfect retreat in Coorg.

Now coming back to this pulao.....it requires less oil and is cooked in coconut milk....yes that is the secret to this wonderful rice....and can be prepared in 30 to 40 min....for 2 cups of rice a  big handful of cleaned fresh methi leaves......and 1 cup of thick coconut milk.

Lets get cooking!!!
Update: August 1, 2013. Since I make this often, I updated the pictures. At this point, I want to mention that if you are weary of using fresh coconut milk (scraping coconut and taking milk from it); you can use canned coconut milk or even coconut milk powder. If using coconut milk powder, add about 3 tbsp of the powder to the required amount of water...and proceed.

Ingredients:
Methi leaves: A handful of leaves; chop them and keep aside.
Onion: 1 medium, sliced.
Jeera: 1/2 tsp.
Ginger garlic paste: 1/2 tsp.
Cloves, whole pepper, cinnamon, and cardamoms: 2 or 3 each (or as desired I love cardamons).
Coconut scrapings: 1 cup.
Green chilies: 2.
Basmati rice/BT rice: 2 cups.
Oil/ghee.

Method:
1. Grind coconut scrapings with green chilies and take 4 cups of  milk and keep aside or you can take 1 cup coconut milk and 3 cups of water....whichever is easier. Clean and wash the rice and keep it on a strainer.

2. Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a cooker and when it is hot, add the jeera and let it splutter, then add the spices.

3. Then add the sliced onion and fry for a min or two, add salt,  ginger garlic paste and when the raw smell goes and the chopped methi leaves and fry till the water evaporates.

4. Pour 4 cups of coconut milk (1 cup milk and 3 cups water) into it and let it boil......check salt again and put in the strained rice and close cooker when steam comes simmer the fire (do not put the weight) and after 7 min switch off fire and open cooker after 20 min....check my biriyani for easy pressure cooker one pot biriyani.

5. Serve hot !!....I like it with chicken curry....but then it goes with anything veg or non veg or even plain raita and pickle......Ok I am leaving it to u girls to decide that.

Some tips:
Can add a pinch of turmeric.....I like mine to be white so I did not add.
Can drizzle a generous tbsp of ghee on top.....I am on diet so I did not.
Can sprinkle fried onions, raisins, nuts on top............I like this plain.

When you visit Coorg do not forget buy BT rice....they have an excellent flavor.....you will get this in almost all the stores in Mercara.


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter