Whole wheat soft garlic knots (no eggs).......step-by-step.


I have this perfect relationship with yeast....and that gives me plenty of reason to bake with yeast often....I love baking with yeast....and the smell of baked bread....ah! the way it flows out of my house and have the neighbors asking me what's in the oven.....Nidhi loves garlic rolls and I make them often....and I got bored with baking the same garlic rolls again and again (I need variety in the kitchen)....I came across this recipe and I made them the next time she asked for garlic rolls....ofcourse I tweaked the recipe to suit my kids taste....I used only whole wheat flour...more simply called as atta...and used ghee instead of the olive oil.....topped it with dried rosemary, melted butter.......and garlic...hmmm heaven!!!

How I made them:
Whole wheat flour/Atta: 3 cups.
Sugar: 1 tbsp.
Instant yeast: 1 tsp.
Salt: 1 tsp.
Ghee/Clarified butter: 2 tbsp.
Warm milk:  1/4 cup.
Warm water: 1 cup.

For the glaze:
Garlic: 3 or 6 cloves.
Butter: 2 tbsp.
Dried rosemary or Italian seasonings: 1/2 tsp.

Method:
1. I first mixed the warm milk, sugar, and yeast.


2. Then mixed the wheat flour with salt, ghee and made a well in the center and poured the milk into it.


3. Made it into a soft dough using enough of the warm water. I kneaded it in my kitchen counter with my hands .....till my hands ached!!. I covered it with a wet kitchen towel and placed it on the warmest place in my kitchen.

4. The dough doubled and was springy to touch after about 2 hours.

5. Turn the dough into a lightly floured surface and divide them into two....roll into a thick long rope with the palm of your hands and cut with a knife.

6. Take each slice and again roll it with the palm of your hands again into a small long rope...if you find the dough sticky......use a little flour to dust it with...(I dint need any).


7. Form each rope into knots.

8. Take the end lying underneath the knot and bring it over the top, tucking it into the center and take the end lying over the knot and tuck it underneath and into the center.


9. Transfer all the knots into a baking tray and cover it with a kitchen towel. let it rest for 20 min. Meanwhile....melt the butter, add the crushed garlic and rosemary.




10. Brush them generously on the nice and puffy knots.


11.  Bake until lightly browned or about 15 to 20 min....Let cool slightly before serving.


Nidhi enjoyed them with tomato sauce....they can be had with soup or just about anything.


The aroma brought the neighbors to my door.


Ofcourse you can make this entirely with all purpose flour or even take half flour and half wheat flour....I just wanted to make sure that my kids have a healthy meal after they came from school so I made with whole wheat.


Enjoy friends....will be back soon!!.


Sharing it with Foodie Friday, Paisley Passions, Recipe swap, Tasty traditions, Keeper Thursday, Yeast spotting, Made from scratch.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter