chevron canvas


I LOVE all these Chevron striped projects everyone's doing these days so, of course, I needed my own!
I made my own stripe pattern & printed a few out. The easiest way to get the pattern on the canvas (for me, anyway) was to line up the pattern where I wanted color, and put green painting tape along both edges. I wanted each line to be exactly the same size, so after I had one line taped off, I put another pattern down and started the next line. Sounds confusing, but with the picture it should help make a little more sense. I went over the tape with a credit card to seal around the edges.
Once the lines were all covered with tape, it was time to paint! I love this color (Calypso Sky). I ended up painting about 3 coats to get the coverage I wanted.

 I left it to dry for a couple hours, and actually got some house cleaning done! Go me!! I was getting so excited at how great it looked after peeling the tape off. It leaked a little around some of the edges, but overall I think it turned out pretty good!
 Next, I got out my vinyl. Believe it or not, this is the first project I'm using the Silhouette for... crazy, I know. I'm a newbie and still learning. I cut out some little birdies I designed, and adhered them to transfer tape (see tutorial here). Place vinyl on canvas and rub with your scraper (or fingernails, credit card, the possibilities are endless). Remove transfer tape.

...at least that's how I imagined it working. I'm guessing it's the texture of the canvas, but I couldn't get the vinyl to stick. So I improvised and did what I always do - covered it in a layer of Mod Podge!
I let it dry completely, then applied the vinyl. Not sure if it's an operator error or the vinyl, but for some reason the vinyl still wouldn't stick! Even peeling it off the transfer paper was pretty difficult. Once I finally got all the pieces off and stuck in place, they seemed to still be peeling up.
 So then I put another coat of Mod Podge on top of the entire thing and it seemed to help.
LOOOVE IT!!

Linking to these parties!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter