Quatrefoil Canvas

I decided my living room needed a little extra decoration, so I of course turned to one of my favorite things: canvas! I love painting & creating something that looks nice without spending a ton of money. Plus canvas is easier to hang, in my opinion :)

So, here's my latest creation! I love it!! I couldn't make just one...


Here's how I made these beauties:

I started with 2 canvases, a couple sponge brushes & Violet Pansy acrylic paint

This is the canvas with one coat of paint. It turned out kind of streaked, but I like the look.
I added 2 more coats to get the darker purple color I was looking for.
Make sure to let each coat dry before painting a new one.

Next, I used Metallic Pearl White paint and painted a light coat over the purple

I wanted the lines of the stencil to be a lighter color with some texture & shine.
I think it turned out perfectly!

I created my own pattern to fit the canvas, printed it out to fit a stencil blank.
You could also use a pre-cut stencil if you find a pattern you like.

Use your Xacto knife and carefully cut along your lines.
Mine weren't perfect, but I did the best I could.

Pop out the centers & admire your work! Trim any parts that need trimming.

Lay your stencil down & secure the edges with painter's tape. I used foam spouncers to paint the canvas over the stencil. Dip the spouncer in paint, and blot out the excess. Too much paint will leak under the stencil & create more work for you to fix later. Dab the canvas over stencil in an up & down motion - going at angles around the edges can cause leaks. They won't all be perfect, but the mistakes are fixable. I painted each shape with 2 coats of purple paint.

For edges that leaked or look rough, go back with a small amount of the metallic paint and fix them with a small brush & a little water if needed. Try not to use too much or the paint looks white & will stand out. Going back over the purple mistakes with the silver made it blend right into the background.

Hang up the canvases, stand back, re-fix the canvas positioning since it's crooked & admire your work!

I love how the metallic paint makes it look different the way the sun hits it throughout the day!

Linking to these parties!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter