Whole wheat spinach pizza....Its really worth repeating!!



I couldn't help not posting this fabulous pizza with whole wheat, which I made today morning for breakfast. Nidhi and Cherry has Onam celebration today at school and they wanted pizza to take to school today....actually I saw this wonderful homemade pizza here a few days ago. So when the kids asked for one .....I thought I will give this a try....but of course in my own way.

I know I posted a pizza a week back but, that was with store brought base and this one is made with wheat flour and homemade from scratch...... I had to post this......because it really is worth trying out...I am having the one last piece left and its sooo perfect, soft, and cheesy pizza packed with goodness of spinach and whole wheat.....try it!!! and you will be glad u tried!!.


I made the dough at about 11.00 p.m last night and left it covered with a wet cloth to rise and the dough was perfectly risen in the morning...sorry friends in the hurryburry of the morning schedule I totally forgot to take the step by step pics....my hubby dear is in Rajasthan on his official tour for about a week now and so its just kids and myself at home (sigh)...I am sure I will make this often so...I will update the pics the next time I make....actually it was my son who reminded me to these clicks for Amma's Blog!!

The base was super soft and fluffy and I also made 2 sausage rolls with 1/4 part of this dough for my son's lunch box.

Adapted from here
Ingredients:
Whole wheat flour: 2 cups.
All purpose flour: 1/2 cup.
Instant yeast: 1 tsp.
Salt: 1 tsp.
Sugar: 1 tbsp.(I had some powdered sugar left so I used that).
Olive oil: 2 tbsp.
Enough water to knead.

For the topping:
Amul cheese slice: 2 or 4.
Tomato, sliced: 1.
Onion, sliced: 1.
Tomato sauce: 1 tbsp.(I used my homemade tomato sauce).
Mixed Italian herbs: 1 tbsp.
Pepper powder: 1 tsp.
Spinach/palak, chopped finely: 1/4 cup (can add more).
Olive oil: 1 tsp.
Method:
1. Put both flours, yeast, sugar, olive oil, salt in a bowl and make a well in the center. Pour tepid or lukewarm water into it and slowly knead it into a dough. The dough should not be very hard....it should be soft and pliable and not sticky.

2. Knead for about 2 or 3 min and cover it to rise for about 2 hour. (I just left it overnight).
Picture updated on Sep 3, 2011

3. Roll out in circular shape on a floored surface and and gently place it on greased pizza pan. The rolled out dough should not be too thick

4. Now its time to preheat oven to 250 degree C (that's the max on my oven).

5. Brush olive oil on top of the base, spread with tomato sauce.

6. Sprinkle Italian herbs, spread onion and tomato, and cheese. Finally sprinkle finely chopped spinach.

Updated picture, with more cheese.

6. Place the pizza pan on the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 min and its done!!

Serve hot!!!


# I used an extra large pizza pan (10" pan).
# Go ahead and top it with whatever is available in the pantry, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, spinach etc etc.
# Set your oven to the max temp for baking this.

Sharing with Fat Camp Friday

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter