David's Seaweed Sables: French Fridays with Dorie

sables
Seaweed Sables

When I was about 4 my mom frequently dropped me off at her Italian parent's house to have them babysit me for a few hours. 

Every time my mom picked me up she would ask: 

"How was she?" and her parent's would reply,

"Oh, so easy... she slept the whole time." 

My mom would shake her head in wonder. "She doesn't take naps at home... odd." 

One day during the car ride home my mom asked me what I ate at Grandma's. "Hard cookies." So the next time my mom dropped me off she asked her mother, 

"What are these hard cookies Diane is eating." 

"Oh, just biscotti's... but I have her dip them." 

"In milk?" 

"Milk...no, grappa." 

I thought of this story while my family and I were sampling these Sables. Why? Because I sure wish I had some grappa to dip these into. 

The consensus was too dry, too salty, and too much seaweed. I actually dipped them into the Cabernet I was drinking and they did become edible... but not delicious or chic, or really interesting in any of the ways that were described in the recipe.

Let me clarify we are not a seaweed adverse family. My kids love sushi and were eating pieces of the Nori while my daughter was assembling the cookies. 

My husband used to accuse me of making the house smell like low tide because I love to cook up hijiki on cold winter nights. 

We really liked the Sable Breton Cookie that were just butter and salt that had been recommended for the olive oil ice cream and maybe if these cookies had just a sprinkle of seaweed... just a bit to make one wonder... what is that unusual ingredient... they might have been enjoyable? 




Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter