Olive Oil Ice Cream: French Fridays with Dorie

Olive Oil Ice Cream with Honey, Fleur de Sel, and Strawberries

Ice cream is definitely my husband's domain. You see when I meet him in New York City his roommate had just started a gelato company called Ciao Bella you may have heard of it. 

Well, when my husband's roommate, FW started out he catered to restaurants. A lot of Asian restaurants ordered some very unusual gelatos from him, like aduki bean and green tea. All of the gelatos FW concocted made it back to his apartment to be shared with his roommates... needless to say my husband Trip is a connoisseur of unusual ice cream.

Well, Trip whipped up Dorie's recipe in a jiffy... nailing the custard. My daughter baked the Sable Breton Cookies that were recommended to have with the ice cream.

I had looked very hard in the grocery store for an olive oil that said it was fruity... no luck, so we just used what we had on hand. Big mistake... much too peppery. I dressed the ice cream with strawberries, local organic honey, fleur de sel... to no avail. 

My husband deemed it, "disgusting," My son disliked it even more.... I think the word he used was, "vile." My daughter shrugged her shoulders and said, "Oh, well... my cookies came out good." 

I was the only one who ate the ice cream and was not repulsed by the taste... I'm Italian... olive oil is never going to bother me in any dish. I thought the texture was divine and dressed with the honey and salt it was interesting. 

My husband told me that there is an olive oil store in Grand Central Station were I can probably find fruity olive oil...

But he ain't making no olive oil ice cream again!

Addition: I was checking the William Sonoma Blog and I had to laugh they have an olive oil ice cream recipe posted and they are serving it with strawberries also:



           
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter