The Food of Turkey: Turkish Delights:Healthy Eating:


Source photo: http://turkeyworld.tv/general/links.html

The month of May was too short to celebrate all of the cuisines of the Mediterranean, so forgive me if I continue into the month of June. I would like to talk a little bit about the food of Turkey. 

I visited this country about 17 years ago and was enchanted by the cuisine. I had incredible vegetable dishes with olives and eggplants and a creamy cheese covered in honey and pistachios that I will never forget... and of course kebabs.. Fantastic marinaded  lamb and beef dishes. My favorite dessert was a wonderful small melon cut in half and filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with honey. They have the most delicious honey... it is great on their scrumptious yogurt too. 

All day long in Istanbul vendors carry around silver trays with glass cups of steaming apple tea into stores around the city. Talk about being environmentally friendly... no paper cups. no garbage.

As a judge for The Family Recipe Challenge for The Very Good Recipe blog directory I was introduced to a Turkish cooking blog: Ozlem Turkish Table that I recommend to you to learn more about this fabulous Mediterranean cuisine. 

My Menu Plan for the Week:


Meatless Monday: Cheese Manicotti with red sauce

Tuesday: French Lentils with Black Olive Tapenade, Tuna Lentil Lemon Salad with Ciabatta Rolls and European Butter 

Wednesday: Eggplant Parmesan with salad and Rustic Rolls

Thursday: Maya Kaimal Coconut Curry Sauce (store bought) with Langoustine with brown rice and roasted vegetables


Saturday: Herbed chicken artichoke with roasted potatoes


Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter