CHICKEN TORTILLA CHIP CASSEROLE


Food rarely goes bad at my house. Not just because my five-year old already eats like he’s 15, but because I regularly scan the contents of my fridge and pantry in an effort to use everything up before it turns into a science experiment! (C’mon- you all know what I’m talking about!) This recipe is a result of me getting creative with the last 1/3 of the bag of tortilla chips. My husband was reluctant to take a bite when he’d heard what I’d made it with, but was pleasantly surprised! Now, we look forward to this casserole when there are nothing but crumbs left at the bottom of the tortilla chip bag!

I calculated this recipe to cost a total of $3.46, or about .87 per serving.

This recipe is very versatile. If you don't have pinto beans, use kidney or black beans instead. I'm a big fan of using what you have on hand. If your family likes more or less flavor, adjust spices accordingly!

Jessica's Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole

1 can diced tomatoes
about 1 cup diced cooked chicken
1 small can green chilies
1 can beans- pinto, kidney, black- whatever you have
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp taco seasoning
salt to taste

Directions:

Drain most of the liquid from the tomatoes and pour in an 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with seasonings- I use cumin, a little salt, and some taco seasoning.

Crush chips and layer over the black beans.

Combine all liquids and mix thoroughly. Add in chicken and beans. Pour over the chips. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Spread cheese on top and let melt in the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle a few cilantro leaves on top for added flavor!


Recipe originally appeared on $5 Dinners.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter