Crunchy Ginger-Pickled Cucumbers: French Fridays with Dorie

ginger pickes
Ginger Pickles

I am a lover of all things pickled... growing up around old world Italians our neighbors pickled every vegetable they grew in their gardens: eggplant, peppers, cauliflower and of course, cucumbers. 

Now I have not been partially adventurous in my pickle eating, our babysitter raves about how delicious deep fried pickles are, and I still have not consented to my kid's making kool-aid pickles or "koolickles"... as they are called, yeah - they are a tradition in Mississippi, but we live in New York. 


http://pearlssentimentaljourney.blogspot.com/2008/07/kool-aid-confessions.html


Well Dorie's pickles were truly simple to make... (thank you, it has been a busy week.) and my family and I were excited to share them with old friends who were in town, sadly to sell their house. Opinion on the pickles was: 3 OK, 2 "loved them", and 2 "too much ginger."

I was a member of the "too much ginger" faction. I thought half the amount of this potent spice would have been appropriate, in order to still allow one to taste the other seasonings. Don't get me wrong I think the coolness of cucumbers are a perfect counterpoint to the hotness of ginger, I just felt that the proportions were off... but hey, my husband said if I made a big batch of these pickles he could nibble on them all day...

Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter