HEALTHY ZUCCHINI CARROT MUFFINS


 I apologize in advance for you all having to put up with my muffin craving this pregnancy. I don't know what it is, but I just adore muffins lately!

At any rate, I found this muffin recipe, made a couple of changes and it's a winner! I love that it uses honey instead of sugar and that it has an entire cup of both shredded carrots and zucchini. I'm all for sneaking more vegetables into my kid's diets! I also like that it made 2 dozen muffins, instead of just one. 12 muffins would last us all of about a half hour. Even still, we ate them all in 3 days. I won't tell you how many I ate. {I'm eating for two, right?!?}

They're moist and fluffy and certainly don't taste like they've got a bunch of vegetables in them. I made a few minor changes as you can see. These are a great breakfast, snack and even go well in school lunches.

Healthy Zucchini-Carrot Muffins


  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup oat flour {I don't buy this, so I just blended oats into a finer consistency}
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce {I used one of the snack cups of applesauce}
  • 1 cup plain yogurt {I used vanilla yogurt}
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients starting with the dry items first, then going down the list. Stir in the zucchini, carrots, pecans and raisins just until blended.

Bake 18-20 minutes for regular sized muffins, or 12-14 minutes for mini-muffins. Cool for 10 minutes before taking out of muffin tins.

Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter