MONKEY BARS

I found this healthy, tasty snack in this month's edition of Woman's Day magazine. They're super easy to make, my kids think they're treats and I can swap out a few ingredients to make them pretty dang healthy- all pluses in my opinion!

The name Monkey Bars comes from the fact that these have 5 bananas in them. However, when I made these and took the pictures, I didn't have any bananas, so I swapped in pureed pumpkin instead! They were delicious and we really enjoyed them both ways! In a couple months most of us will have lovely jack-o-lanterns on our porches...which we can them COOK afterwards!

Here is the original recipe. I've swapped out many of the ingredients and each time they turn out delicious! Also, if you plan ahead of time to make these, keep an eye out at the grocery store for really ripe bananas that are marked down. I've gotten some for as little as .15/lb before!

Monkey Bars
  • 1 2/3 cups mashed, ripe bananas {about 5 bananas}
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil {can use applesauce instead!}
  • 1/4 cup milk {can use powdered milk}
  • 2 large eggs {can use powdered eggs}
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips {I reduce this by half, I know, I'm mean!}
  • 1-2 TBSP ground flax {my addition}
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15x10.5" pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray.


Whisk all ingredients except for the flour and chocolate chips. Gradually add in flour until just blended. Mix in half the chocolate chips.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chips on top. Bake 15-20 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool completely. I've even stuck the entire pan into the freezer so that they'd cut cleaner! Once cool, cut into squares.

If you're preparing these for school lunches, I suggest bagging them individually and freezing them like that. If you freeze prior to cutting, the chocolate on top doesn't make a mess in the baggie.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter