THANKSGIVING TREAT: PECAN BARS

Alright, I'll admit it: I like pecan pie. Thanksgiving just wouldn't be complete without it. However, even though I really enjoy it, year after year, I can't help but think that it's really just too much. Too sweet? Too gooey? Too something, that's for sure.

I found this recipe last year: Pecan Bars. Sounded like a nice alternative to pie, so I tried it out. You can find the original recipe here. I've made several changes.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Even my husband who doesn't care for pecan pie at all loves these little treats. Seriously. They're they perfect amount of sweet and delicious. You can cut them small and enjoy them longer. Or you can eat the entire pan in one sitting, like my sister-in-law, Raz and I nearly did! At any rate, these have replaced pie at our Thanksgiving feast and I couldn't be more pleased.

Pecan Bars

Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter

Filling:
2 eggs
3/4 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray. {Note: My pics show an 8x8 pan because I halved the recipe. You will need to use a 9x13 pan for the measurements listed above!}
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. {I just use a fork.}
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.


While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, corn syrup, white sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the chopped pecans. Spread the filling evenly over the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Bake for 20- 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until set. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing into bars.

Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter