WHEN IN ROME: PASTA, PIZZA, & 1 GIANT TOURIST RIP-OFF:)

We arrived in Rome, dropped off our bags, and headed back out the door. First stop? Pasta! Ah! Pasta! There was a little café just across the street from our hotel and since the hotel staff didn’t offer any recommendations (weird), we headed right over. We dined outside, sipped Fanta, and eagerly awaited our meal. Mike ordered the spaghetti & meatballs, and I ordered ravioli. The sauce was insanely red, and the basil was insanely green. Strangely vivid. Colors must be brighter in Italy:) Think that's possible? Me too. After eating my first bite, and immediately trying Mike’s, I was struck by how incredibly al dente they were! I know in America we tend to cook pasta to mush, and I usually lean toward the al dente when cooking, but this was super al dente! It reminded me that we weren’t in America anymore:) It was delicious. Please note Mike's face below. Kind of frighteningly giddy, right? The food was awesome. As was the show performed by the host and a dirty homeless lady he kept kicking out of the restaurant. Sad- but very entertaining. She was apparently a frequent "visitor!"

We ate at the same café twice- a little corner place near the Trevi Fountain. The food was insane. INSANE! The carbonara was so good we went back the next day… and probably would have gone back repeatedly if we would have stayed longer! Mike actually dreamed of the carbonara. The host even remembered us, "You come back! Welcome back!" He literally made a table outside (they did this often- no empty tables? Why- they'll just make one up for you!). The first day I ordered cannelloni (homemade pasta sheets rolled around ricotta and spinach), followed by ravioli the following day (I have an addiction to ravioli). So incredible!
(^ Said carbonara. Yum!)
My favorite meal ambiance-wise was at a little place literally touching the Piazza Navona. We ate there just because it was about 3 steps from the fountain in the center of the piazza! This was also the most ironic of our meals- and one of only two pizzas we ate (barring a disgusting slice at the Vatican- blegh!). We mastered a trick of pulling a can of soda from my purse as we walked up to dine, that way, we wouldn’t have to buy two drinks. You see, nowhere let us order tap water- only bottled- which was the same price as soda… anyway, super pricey. We bought drinks on the street, then drank them at restaurants. This time, we ordered our margarita pizza, and one Coke. The pizza was great! The scenery, awesome. We got our check, and my jaw smacked the table: 
Pizza – 10 euro
Soda – 9 euro
Yes folks, that is a $13 pizza alongside a $12, 10 oz., can of non-refillable Coke. I couldn’t get over it! It still makes me roll my eyes in disgust, shock, and total humor and irony. Darn tourist traps. There was also a cute little Italian lady in the tiny bathroom helping people into their stalls and requesting money upon exit. Charming! No really, she was super cute and tiny and looked like all my Sicilian relatives, but I'm just not into tipping in a restroom when I spent $12 on a can of soda! I can't do it! I just can't, people!
(^ I spy with my little eye: the average and insane price of french fries in Europe! I wanted to try them JUST because they were so expensive. But I couldn't bring myself to do it... Anyone ever tried 'em? Anyone? I'm so curious!)

Our last night in Rome we wandered in the rain to the Colosseum and found a little café with a stellar view. I’m pretty sure that place won’t be in business long because the service and food were not so great, but man, it was so packed with tourists running from the rain! It was so pretty! A lovely way to end a lovely Roman holiday. Ciao, Roma!
*Note: none of the restaurants have websites... or are even trackable online:) You gotta love little dives!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter