Spur-of-the moment vegetable soup (Carrot Soup): French Fridays with Dorie

carrot puree soup

As a kid I was quite enamored with the Stone Soup story. So much so, that in the winter I would stoke up an electric coiled burner on my back yard porch (with no adult supervision, need you ask... it was the 70's) and require each kid in the neighborhood to give me a vegetable for "the stone soup"... by the end of the afternoon we would feast on what usually turned out to be a "carrot potato soup" since none of us knew that we should have rounded out our vegetable selection to include weird things like celery and onions.

Dorie's soup reminded me a little of my childhood carrot concoction. I wish I knew about immersion blenders back then... our stone soup's texture would have been much more pleasing.

Yes, I did puree this soup... I tend to puree all vegetable soups. I have found it to be a good defense against kids picking out unloved vegetables from the soup. 


When it's pureed the texture is pleasing, and nobody knows what the HELL I put in it!

I have to admit I was skeptical about the rosemary sprig in the soup, but as usual Dorie surprised me with a wonderful combination... I now really love carrot and rosemary together. Another note about this recipe: it called for 6 cups of broth, when I got to 4 cups I stopped... because to me if I added anymore liquid the soup would have been too thin for a puree. I guess it is a personal preference, but I like a creamy soup to be thick also.

A note to the Doristas I didn't make the last two recipes because making hummus for a French cooking group didn't appeal to me, and the Apple Almond Tart sounded wonderful... but my little pastry chef has nut allergies. 

My childhood food allergies have been recently acting up too, so there will probably be more recipes that I will have to obstinate from cooking. 

I can't tell you what a downer it is to have food allergies when you are a foodie... but on the other hand my daughter has become an amazing baker for her age because she feels safest eating desserts she has made herself.

For me... growing up so conscious of what I put into my mouth, for fear of breaking out in a mass of hives or have to rush to the bathroom, has made me hyper-aware of food ingredients which has translated into good cooking skills... 


so there are always blessings hidden in our curses. 


So glad to be back!!!


Notes: This recipe looks a lot like Dorie's: 

         Spur-Of-The-Moment Vegetable Soup


Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 

 





This post is being shared on the following linky parties check them out:
Meatless Monday:
Tuesday Food:
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop @ Premeditated Leftovers
Tempt my Tummy @Blessed with Grace
Trick or Treat Tuesday @ Bru Crew Life
Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box
Tasteful Tuesday Party @ Nap Time Creations 
Traditional Tuesdays @ Cooking Traditional Foods
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays @ SS& GS
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Wednesday Food:
What's Cooking Wednesday @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
Wholesome Foods Wednesday @ This Chick Can Cook
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain 
Newlyweds Recipe Party @ Newlyweds
Whimsy Wednesday @ The Melrose Family
 Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on Wednesday 
Recipe Box @ Bizzy Bakes
Fresh Foods Wednesdays @ Gastronomical Sovereignty
Wednesday Adorn from Above @ Adorn from Above
Link it up Wednesday @ Homestead Simple
Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom
Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ Home Take 2
Thursday Food:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tastetastic Thursday @ A Little Nosh
Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive
Creative Thursday @ Michelle's Tasty Creations
Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs
Keep it Real Thursday @ Beyond the Peel
It's Fall Y'all @ Love Bakes Good Cakes until Nov 1st
Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter