Creamy Cauliflower Soup Sans Cream: French Fridays with Dorie

Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil
Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil

The idea of cauliflower soup seemed like a bit of a let down after making "the fabulous" beef daube last week. 

Also, my kids hate cauliflower!

I prepared the soup and even pureed it while they were at school. I made a big deal about the truffle oil that I bought to top the soup... telling them the history of forging for truffles... etc. 

Yes, I was off on a taste tangent. They both said that the soup smelled terrific, and they were pretty excited about eating dad's sourdough bread. I put some very runny French cheese on the table, and went to walk the dog.

When I returned the kids were ready to eat.  Then my husband said, "Can't wait to have the cauliflower soup." 

My daughter looked at me, "Cauliflower!" 

My husband blew it. But my kids know that they have to try what I cook before they condemn it.

My daughter sat silently buttering her bread and picking at the cheese, apples, and pears that accompanied the soup. Finally she ate it. 

"This isn't bad. Truffle oil even makes cauliflower taste good."

And so it does.

The rest of us loved the soup, with or without truffle oil it made a wonderfully light vegetarian dinner, which is a good balance to beef daube.

Note: I added 1/4 cup of half and half, 1 tablespoon of White Truffle oil, and 1 teaspoon of fleur de sel to the original recipe.

This is a similar recipe: Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil


Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 

 






Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter