Flavors of Morocco: Healthy Eating

carrot salad
carrot salad

It is the middle of January, the winter doldrums, I need some spice in my life. So, I headed down to Williams Sonoma's for a free Taste of Morocco cooking class. Morocco is a country in North Africa that is probably most famous for being the setting of the movie Casablanca in this country than for it's aromatic tagine cooking. 

William Sonoma, a quality cooking store, offers weekly free classes and more involved paid cooking classes on a regular bases. Check out their schedule

I got to sample and see prepared:





The carrot parsnip salad was my favorite. I can't say that I ever ate raw parsnip before, but I liked them in this salad. I sometimes find carrot salads to be too sweet, but parsnips only have a slightly sweet taste, so they helped to bring the sweetness level down a notch. The exotic Moroccan spice mix Harissa which is a smoky blend of chili flavors also helped to make this a really balanced salad.  The flavors were a warming, yet fresh, burst of tastes that I really needed during this grim cold time of year. 

The cookbook that was recommended at the class is by Mourad Lahlou who grew up in Morocco and has created a beautifully illustrated collection of modernized versions of his childhood favorites. 




Weekly Menu Plan:


Sunday: Mushroom Risotto and Kale

Meatless Monday: Baked Spaghetti Squash & Zucchini


Wednesday: Trader Joe's Asian Vegetable Stir Fry with Egg & Brown Rice

Thursday: Spaghetti & Meatballs (from the freezer) with Salad


Saturday: Pasta Fagioli (from the freezer)

This post is shared on:

menu plan monday


Note: I am not under any type of affiliate or advertising contract with William Sonoma at this time. My opinion of this store is unbiased by any type of business relationship.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter