Moroccan Stuffed Peppers: Foodie Friday

stuffed peppers: Simple Living & Eating

I was really inspired by The Taste of Morocco cooking class I took at Williams-Sonoma. So, inspired that I decided to give a Moroccan makeover to Italian Stuffed Peppers. 

I used an exotic Moroccan seasoning mix called ras el hanout  and a grain that is new to me: millet, which is not Moroccan, ... but I have been trying to rotate grains in my diet because of my food allergies. Millet is actually a seed of a grass; so it is gluten-free, but we will call it a grain for simplicity's sake.

Millet's nutty chewy texture is an excellent hearty winter grain. 1/4 cup gives you 20% of your manganese and 10% of your zinc and phosphorus which are good for your bones and nervous system.

Drum roll please... I was floored by the results. To tell you honestly, I never was very fond of stuffed peppers. I kinda of tolerated the peppers, so I could enjoy the stuffing. 

Eating these stuffed peppers was the first time for me, the stuffing enhanced and complimented the peppers. The millet held up much better than rice.  It didn't get mushy, and the seasoning and currants were exotic... but not threatening. 

Can I give myself a two thumbs up? Well, I'm doing it anyway... try these peppers...seriously try them.

Diane

Moroccan Beef & Millet Stuffed Peppers
by Diane Balch
simplelivingeating.com

preparation time: 30 minutes                        cooking time: 25 minutes 
serves: 6

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small onion minced
1 pound of ground beef
1 teaspoon of ras el hanout  or harissa (I used McCormick's Morocccan Seasoning)
2 cups of cooked millet
1 tablespoon of butter
2 teaspoons of salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup of currants
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
6 bell peppers cored any color
Olive oil spray

Directions:

1) Cook millet according to directions but add butter and 1 teaspoon of salt to it.

2) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

3) In a medium size skillet saute onions in olive oil. When onions are limp add beef that is seasoned with 1 teaspoon of salt and ras el hangout. Cook beef until it is no longer pink. 

4) Add cooked millet, currants, and lemon zest to beef and onions. Mix well.

5) With a teaspoon stuff peppers with mixture. Really pack the mixture into the peppers. They should be bursting with filling.

6) Put stuffed peppers on a baking dish and spray them with olive oil.

7) Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the peppers are tender and spotted brown.







Foodie Friday Features:


From: SteakNPotatoKindaGurl

Tex-Mex Pinto Bean Spread
Tex-Mex Pinto Bean Spread

This is the healthiest, lowest calorie, most flavorful dip I've come across.



From: A Girl's Reflections

Empanadas
Empanadas 

I wish I had an Aunt B who made these for my after school snack. Love the versatility of the stuffing too...


From: Manila Spoon

Vietnamese Pho
Vietnamese Pho 

Taste another place...Pho is a Vietnamese staple. Especially in the winter this sweet and salty soup adds warmth and excitement to a dreary day.


This post is shared on the following wonderful food/craft parties. Be sure  to check them out:


Instructions for Foodie Friday linky:

This is a food party please link up only 3 food related posts. Thank you. 

Click on at least 3 other recipes.

SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY EMAIL OR RSS... 

or FRIEND ME ON FACEBOOK

SPREAD THE WORD: PIN, FB, TWEET ETC... this party. It is good for you and me.


1) Copy the Foodie Friday Button's html from this website's sidebar.
2) Paste this html to the html page of the recipe you want to link to Foodie Friday. You can also make a word link or post our button on your sidebar.   Please link back.
3) Copy the link to the recipes you want to add to Foodie Friday, not your homepage. 
4) Click on "your next" on this page.
5) Past your link and type in the name of the recipe, not your name.
6) Choose how you want to download the photo.
By posting in this party you are giving this blog permission to reprint (with a link to your post) in recipe roundups and featured posts any recipes/articles you share with us.




Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter