Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta



My grocery store makes these delicious Italian sausages in-house. They have been taunting me from the shelves. "Eat me! Eat me!" they've cried. I'm not a huge meat eater so it was a bit shocking to my husband that we'd get to have such deliciousness for dinner. Oh my, I'm so glad those sausages cried out my name because it made for an absolutely tasty dinner. It's a quick week-night meal that anyone can bust out for a flavorful meal right at home.


Ingredients

1 lb thick spaghetti noodles
2 large Italian Sausages (about 2/3 lb)
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 orange bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper
1 can fire roasted tomatoes



Instructions

1. Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Toss in the olive oil and the sausages in. Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip over and cook another 4 minutes. 

3. Keep the sausages in the pan and toss in the onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onion and peppers soften. 

4. Add in the minced garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes and saute for another minute.

5. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes and heat until bubbly. Remove from heat.

6. Remove the sausages and slice them. Return the sliced sausage to the onion/pepper mixture. Serve over pasta.



Italian sausages are those huge sausages (think bigger than a hot dog) they sell in the meat section or at the meat counter of your grocery store. There's a wide variety out there. My grocery store sells chicken, turkey, and pork sausages with all sorts of different added flavorings. The plane jane version will be labeled as a Sweet Italian Pork Sausage. I stick with the pork because it is more flavorful and less likely to dry out. Sometimes I'll get the Spicy Pork for that extra heat. 




Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter