" A Place at the Table" Food Bloggers Against Hunger


Groceries

When I was in elementary school I hung out with a girl named Donna who lived around the block from me. Her mom worked as a waitress. She didn't remember her dad. Her older brother and sister were in high school. I used to go to the grocery store with her. Why a fifth grader was in charge of shopping I didn't know? Donna was often alone, so I guess if she got hungry she had to shop herself. She paid the grocer with food stamps. I had never seen these before. The only stamps I knew were the green kind that my mom saved up in a booklet and redeemed them at a special "Green Stamp" store for things like crockpots and toasters.

My mother said that Donna could eat at our house whenever she wanted too. I didn't really understand why she had such a privilege that my other friends didn't have. But, sometimes when I ate with Donna she would make really weird things. Like pasta with tomato soup or mayonnaise sandwiches. I didn't understand that sometimes this was all she had to eat.


What would you do if you were hungry? If you only had 3 to 4 dollars a day to spend on food for each member of your family?


I went to the grocery store with $112 (4 members of my family, $4 a day, for seven days worth of food.)

This is what I bought.

What would you buy?

Breakfast
Breakfast
Oatmeal with milk and bananas or apples, eggs, coffee



Lunch
Lunch
 Tuna, cheese, or peanut butter & jelly sandwiches


Chicken & Vegetables
Dinner 1
Roast the chicken on top of the vegetables.
Remove all meat from chicken. Scraps save for chicken soup or chicken salad.

Broccoli Rabe beans and pasta
Dinner 2
Need to cook perishable greens. Broccoli rabe, beans, in olive oil sauce over pasta.


Beef Stew
Dinner 3
Beef Stew: Slow cookers can be found at tag sales.( I got one that way.)
Cook beef and vegetables in a crockpot while at work.

Black beans with corn bread
Dinner 4
Black Beans cook in slow cooker with pepper and some onion too. Make corn bread in a skillet. 

Beef Barley Soup
Dinner 5
Beef Barley Soup

Pasta and Marinara Sauce
Dinner 6
Pasta and Marinara Sauce
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter