Quick Bhatura...step by step.


Quick Bhatura...really!! you might wonder how can bhatura be made quickly....yes it can be made so quick, that you will end up making them again and again....and blame me for your bulging waistline ha!

Bhatura or bhature is a thick fried Indian bread, a popular Punjabi dish served with channa masala....the combination is called Chole Bhature (Chole means channa/chickpea)

Forget the age-old-bhatura-making....the fermenting, the yeast, the baking soda....the wait for 5 to 6 hours....the sticky dough.....and the kneading....throw them all out.....I am going to help you to make bhatura without all this....the easy way.

Bhatura is always a special indulgence for me because of all the deep frying, my kids love them.....and they need some indulgence on and off after all the skinny stuffs I make for them...eh?? I have been making this bhatura ....let me guess....hmmmm for about 17+ years......soon after my marriage to be precise....I have mentioned that Homey lived in Haldawani (Nainital), and mom-in-law had lots of Punjabi friends....this recipe is from her and this is how she makes quick bhatura.......and I just sort of modernized her version with my food processor and made it easy for you....super easy, super fast bhatura....you will be amazed by the speed at which you can make bhatura....

The secret ingredient is boiled potato, it is to be incorporated into the flour. Mom-in-law used to mash the potatoes and slowly knead it with the flour without water .....maybe 2 tbsp or so will be needed with a drizzle of oil....but that takes lot of time....with all the kneading....and sometimes the potatoes can be seen in tiny pieces while rolling the dough and the result-bhatura will not puff up.....if you add more water to knead....the bhatura will soak up the oil, so you really have to knead the mashed potatoes into the flour bit by bit...and that used to test my patience level ....and finally after much thinking and brainstorms I finally found a way out with my food processor....and thus bhatura making became so easy and fun...end.of.story!!


I have used maida/all purpose flour; you can also use half maida-half whole wheat flour.

Author: Nisa Homey.
Yeild: 9-10 bhaturas.

Ingredients:
Potatoes: 3, I pressure cooked them with skin on and allowed it to come to room temp.
Flour: 1 1/2 cups, sometimes you might need a bit more.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Water: 1 tbsp.
Oil: 1 tsp, to knead.
Oil: For deep frying.

Method:
 I boiled the potatoes with skin...in a pressure cooker....pls make sure it comes to room temperature.

Peel off the skin and chop them.

Put the flour and salt in the food processor and blitz once.


Then add the chopped boiled potatoes into it.

And blitz again for a minute or two...it will resemble breadcrumbs.


Again run the food processor and add few drops of water....about 1 tbsp...slowly through the feeder....until the dough comes together.


Plop the dough into another bowel.


Drizzle 1 tsp ghee or oil...


And knead to a soft pliable dough.


Pinch off lemon sized balls from the dough and roll out each ball into 3-4 inch discs....do not make it very thin


Meanwhile heat a kadai with oil or ghee and bring it to boil.....the oil should be very hot....slide in the bhatura........gently tap the top with a spoon and it will puff up.

Turn to the other side and allow it to brown a bit....strain and put it on top of a paper napkin....repeat the same with the rest ....try to put the flame on medium flame all through out.


Serve with channa masala, lemon wedges, and onion rings...
I promised you its easy :) Enjoy.


P.S. Like my post?? Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter