Spend time in Nature #Earth Day #Simple Living in Practice

Spring Woods
Spring Woods

Earth Day was this Monday and I hope you not only decide to do your part to take care of the earth, but that you got yourself out into nature and enjoy the earth.

Why spend time in the woods?

1) Spending time in nature is relaxing. It lowers your blood pressure and gives your brain a break from the fast pace of our technological life that moves at a gazillion bytes per second. 

2) Spending time in nature is  aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes if I look really closely at a flower, or a leaf, and when I really LOOK at the design and detail of it: I am in awe. We cannot make anything artificially that truly compares to the wonder of natural design.

3) Spending time in nature is healthy. I mentioned that it lowers your blood pressure; well, it also improves your immune system. Being in the woods can raise your white blood cell count. The smell of greens, the sunlight, the calming sounds all contribute to an overall healing effect on your body.

4) Spending time in nature is fun. When I've walked around a track I would get bored and give up exercising. I walk in the woods now, sometimes for over an hour, and I don't even realize how much I've exercised because it is so much fun to explore the sights and sounds along the trail. If you don't have woods in your area, get yourself over to a park. When I lived in NYC I found walking in Central Park to be just as interesting, sometimes a lot more, than walking on a trail in the woods.

5) Spending time in nature is good for your soul.  If you are quiet and mindful as you explore nature it will talk to your being. It will help inspire your spirituality, whatever your personal belief system is... it will be enhanced by the time you spend in the glory of the natural world. 

This post is shared on:

motivational monday


Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter