Coupetade: French Toast Pudding #French Fridays with Dorie

Coupetade
Coupetade


I can't tell you how happy I am that the Dorista's are making something soft this week. You see I had gum surgery last week and my two favorite things to do have been limited: talking and eating. 

Coupetade is a traditional Southern French dessert that takes it's name from the dish it is usually baked in a coupet.

No one in my family felt this was a dessert. It struck us more as a brunch dish. I think it is an excellent Sunday breakfast for a large group because you can bring a big plate of French toast to the table ready for everyone to eat.

So the dish, you start by making French Toast and then you soak it in a custard and adorn it with dried fruit of your choosing. I used prunes and cherries which were delicious together.


coupetade
Coupetade before it is baked.

Knowing that Dorie's oven is about 25 degrees warmer than mine I baked the Coupetade at 350 degrees for one hour instead of the 325 she recommended. I also wondered about the size of loaves of bread in France? I used a small Spelt loaf and I could only fit 6 slices in the 9 by 13 inch pan she instructed us to use. 


coupetade
Coupetade right out of the oven.

The result was a really tasty French toast that my whole family enjoyed: prunes and all, but to call it a dessert... it just lacked a certain Je ne sais quoi. 

Click here for a Coupetade recipe.  

Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 


 
Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.





This post will be shared on the following food/craft parties:
Tuesday Food:
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop @ Premeditated Leftovers
Tempt my Tummy @Blessed with Grace
Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box
Traditional Tuesdays @ Cooking Traditional Foods
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays @ SS& GS
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Hand Made Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings
Share it Link Party @ Winthrop Chronicles
In & Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big & More
Wednesday Food:
Wholesome Foods Wednesday @ This Chick Can Cook
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain 
 Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on Wednesday 
Fresh Foods Wednesdays @ Gastronomical Sovereignty
Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom
Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ All She Cooks
Seasonal Celebration @ Natural Mother's Network
Wednesday Extravaganza @ Hunger Little Girl
Thursday Food:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive
Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs
Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity
Tasty Thursdays @ The Mandatory Mooch

Friday Food:
Foodie Friday @ Home Maid Simple
Freedom Friday @ My Turn
Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home
Foodie Friday @ Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm 
Friday Food Fight @ Run DMT
Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss
Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts 
Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club
Friday Linky Party @ The Pin Junkie 



Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter