Homemade Salt and Vinegar Chips



I made my own salt and vinegar chips. My sister saw me doing this and asked why in the world I would do such a thing. Well, go ahead and peak at my list of ingredients. Now, if you take a look at  the list of ingredients on a bag of chips from the store you'll find some other ingredients that you can't buy at a grocery store. I figured I'd give it a try, and know what? It was both fun and delicious. My kids (and sister) crowded around to watch. My husband even joined in on the fun. These chips don't keep well, so eat them while they are fresh. It's a fun activity that shows you exactly what goes into a potato chip (with no added chemicals). The coolest part was that I measured the oil before and after frying, and those chips hardly soaked up any of the oil. Interesting!


Ingredients

2 russet potatoes
1 1/2 cups vinegar
2 cups vegetable oil
Salt


Instructions

1. Peel the potatoes. Slice them as thinly as possible. You can use the slicer on your food processor, a mandolin, or just show off your mad knife skills. I actually tried a few different slicer options and settled on using the long slit side on my cheese grater. 

2. Place the potato slices in a mixing bowl and pour the vinegar in. Let sit for 2 hours.

3. When ready, heat the oil in a pot to 350 degrees. 

4. Fry the slices in batches. It only takes 2-3 minutes for very thin slices. Remove when they start to brown. Drain on paper towels and salt to taste. 



Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter