How to Make a Washi Tape Enhanced Family Monogram

Slowly but surely I'm putting together the pieces to my family command center (I mean, I only taught you my ninja trick for putting letters on the mailboxes four months ago!). I finished my latest addition and I love how it turned out!

Supplies

  • Wood monogram
  • Washi tape (the grey and black striped tape is from Downtown Tape)
  • Acrylic paint in white and your favorite color
  • Paint brushes
  • Masking tape
  • White contact paper or vinyl
  • A craft cutter - I used my Cricut Mini (no craft cutter? Follow this technique instead)


Directions

Step 1: Paint
Use your white paint to give the wood monogram a good, solid coat. If your wood is dry or very absorbent, do two coats. Once it is completely dry, tape off the inside of the monogram with masking tape.

(do not adjust your monitor. my masking tape really is orange)
Here is the secret to beautiful, crisp paint lines using masking tape: Before you paint with your color, re-paint the edges by the masking tape with white. This will seal the tape and if anything leaks under, it will leak white (which is fine). Let it dry before continuing.

Once the white you painted over the edge of your masking tape is dry(ish), paint the top of your monogram your favorite color. I used teal. My white paint wasn't 100% dry so it made cool streaks in the teal which I liked and started playing with to make it do that on purpose.

Set aside to dry. Once the paint is dry, remove the masking tape and marvel at your beautiful, crisp paint line.

Step 2: Washi
Now that your paint is dry, go ahead and apply washi tape along the outside and inside edges of your monogram where you had masked off earlier. Trim any excess tape protruding from the back of the letter is needed.


Step 3: Letters
I used my Cricut software to cut out our last name and then "est. 2006" (the year we were married) in smaller letters. I just used the basic font from Cricut Craft room (no extra cartridges needed). Then I cut it out from white contact paper using my Cricut Mini. I set my pressure to 3, blade depth to 2, and speed to 4.

I then used a pair of tweezers to pull up the letters and apply them where needed. Easy peasy. No transfer tape necessary.

That's it! Simple. Now, hopefully it won't take me four more months to get the command center it's going in finished!

Do you like this post? Consider subscribing to our weekly newsletter!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter