Socca from Vieux Nice #French Fridays with Dorie

socca

I was 14 years old when I went to Nice with my oldest sister. My clearest memory of the place was not of eating Socca, food was not in our travel budget,... it was of struggling with my bathing suit top. A French boy kept saying something to me that I didn't understand. My sister finally translated. 

"He says why bother?" 

"Because I don't want tan lines." 

"But you don't have to wear a top here."

 I was horrified by the thought of not wearing a top, and yes, at that moment I realized; I was a prudish American.


socca

I have other memories of Nice. The beach is made of pebbles not sand. It was really cool to look at, but very uncomfortable to lay on... and there is a town square. At night my sister and I danced to local French and African bands. Such a beautiful place...

Oh yes, Socca... well my socca's batter looked to thin to me, so I added more, and more, chickpea flour to it. I poured it into a cast iron skillet, because I don't have a pizza pan which Dorie recommended to use. Well, I guess I put too much batter in the pan and the socca came out like cornbread.


socca and sausage

I can't tell you how disappointed my cornbread loving family was when they learned that they were not having cornbread but chickpea floured socca for dinner. They deemed the flavor OK, but the texture.. no go. I agreed it should have been thin. I found the taste simple, but genuinely appealing. The addition of rosemary was a wonderful accent flavor that complemented the spicy sausage and escarole that I sautéed up to serve with this bread.



Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 


Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.





Tuesday Food:
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop @ Premeditated Leftovers
Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
In & Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big & More
Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen

Wednesday Food:
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain 
 Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on Wednesday 
Fresh Foods Wednesdays @ Gastronomical Sovereignty
Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom
Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ All She Cooks
Wednesday Extravaganza @ Hunger Little Girl
Wonderful Wednesdays @Ducks 'n a Row

Thursday Food:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive
Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs
Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity
Tasty Thursdays @ The Mandatory Mooch


Friday Food:
Foodie Friday @ Home Maid Simple
Freedom Friday @ My Turn
Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home
Foodie Friday @ Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Friday Favorite Finds @ Finding Joy in my Kitchen
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm 
Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss
Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts 
Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club
Friday Linky Party @ The Pin Junkie 

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter