PEANUT BUTTER & PRETZEL BARS

peanut butter and pretzel bars at butter with a side of bread

 We've finally settled into our new home! So exciting. SO exciting! Our first few days were laden with confusion- do I have that? Did I keep it? Trash it?
(Wait... that may still be happening... although I'm feeling like that excuse isn't as reliable as it was earlier in the week:)
I attempted to make a dessert for family dinner the other week and literally had a serious lack of basic ingredients- my pantry was full, but my fridge? Empty:) I had to improvise.
This is what I came up with! (Thanks, Pinterest!)
The good news? They were amazing!
Great ready to be wowed...
peanut butter and pretzel bars at butter with a side of bread
Peanut Butter & Pretzel Bars
(Original recipe found here.)

3 C salted *pretzels
1 C creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 C milk chocolate chips/disks
Ground salt

Line an 8 x 8" baking pan with foil, coat with non stick spray, and set aside. Roughly crush 2 cups of pretzels. Combine the peanut butter, butter, and sugars in a small bowl, then stir in the crushed pretzels. Press this mixture evenly into the lined pan, and chill for 20 minutes.

Melt chocolate (I used a double boiler), and pour over peanut butter base. Spread evenly and tap the pan against a hard surface to even out the chocolate a bit more. Place pretzels evenly over the top (this will be your cutting guide), and sprinkle additional (ground/coarse) salt. Cool in refrigerator or on counter. Lift the foil out of the pan with the bars, peel the foil off, then using a sharp knife, cut into squares.

*Notes: Like I mentioned, I had to improvise a bit. Rather than using cute mini pretzels, I had larger pretzels and crushed those up for the topping. Also, I only had natural peanut butter, so mine weren't as "set" as I wish they would have been- the natural oils made it a little creamier than I think they were intended. You can tell that they didn't cut super even, but they were fun and "rustic!" And... still tasted incredible:)

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter