Wheat Berry & Tuna Salad (my version: Tuna Quinoa Salad) #French Friday's with Dorie

Tuna Quinoa Salad

I seem to have a mild allergy to wheat, so no wheat berries for me. I decided to substitute wheat berries with everyone's favorite seed that poses as a grain: quinoa. Yes, this salad is gluten free and quinoa contains all the amino acids, it's high in iron and magnesium,... so yes, it is super healthy.


Tuna Quinoa Salad

I made this salad the day before to be eaten as a packed lunch. The original recipe called for the salad to be laid over tomatoes, avocados, and eggs in a bed of lettuce. Instead I minced everything up except the lettuce and mixed it into the salad. I also used Tonno tuna and felt that one can, instead the two recommend by Dorie, gave it enough tuna flavor without over powering the rest of the ingredients.


I really think mincing all the ingredients helps to blend the flavors in a salad, and I find myself and my family like salads made this way a lot more.


dog in salad

Chilled over night and eaten cold for lunch this salad was a big hit, even my vegetable hating teen son loved it. 

dog on picnic table

We even had a surprise lover of this salad: our dog!


Tuna Quinoa Salad

by Diane Balch
simplelivingeating.com

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Wheat Berry & Tuna Salad found in: Around my French Table

Preparation: 45 minutes                                 Serves:  4 - 6

Ingredients:

Vinaigrette:

1 1/2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar
4 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste
1 dash red pepper flakes


Salad:

1 cup cooked quinoa
2 celery stalks minced
1 small red onion minced
1 apple minced (I use a Golden Delicious)
1 avocado minced
2 hard boiled eggs minced
1 can of drained Tonno tuna


Directions: 

1) While the quinoa and boil the eggs are cooking, whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and put it aside.

2) Mince salad ingredients and mix them together in a large bowl.

3) When quiona and eggs are cooked mix them with the vinaigrette and salad ingredients. Serve warm or refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve chilled over a bed of lettuce. Note: Make sure you cook the quiona until it is light and fluffy on the dry side is best for this salad.

 quinoatuna salad,tunagluten free recipequinoa salad 


Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 


Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.







This post is being shared on the following food/craft parties. Please check them out: 


Tuesday Food:





Wednesday Food:

Thursday Food:




Friday Food:



Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter