Kalbi Beef Poutine (Slow Cooker)



Poutine is a food trend right now. Have you heard of it? It's a Canadian dish that is basically french fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. I like to think of it as the Canadian version of chili cheese fries. The great thing about a poutine is that it is so versatile it leaves a lot of room for the imagination. I knew I wanted to make a poutine and somehow my mind wandered to Korean food. Korean-Canadian fusion? I can totally make that work! Well, maybe. Do they even make gravy in Korea? I warned my husband that we might be having an epic failure for dinner. Go big or go home, right? Since it made it on the blog you already know the end to the story because it turned out fantastic! 

The gravy is flavorful with the Asian spices of ginger and sesame, with just a hint of heat. The meat is tender and falls apart. And the cheese curds....when is eating cheese curds ever not fun? My parents used to buy us cheese curds at a dairy we'd pass on our long summer vacation drives. We called it squeaky cheese. In the end, I don't know why I was so worried about how it would turn out. It is meat, potatoes, gravy, and cheese for goodness sake! We all know that works! The best part is I made the meat in a slow cooker which made this dinner come together quickly. All I had to do come dinner time was make a gravy and put some frozen french fries in the oven. While I usually make things from scratch, I have to admit that frozen french fries are just easy sometimes. Don't judge. Do judge this recipe though. Give it a try and let your mind be opened up to all of the wonderful possibilities of poutine. 


Ingredients

1.5 lbs boneless beef short ribs
3 cups beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp sesame oil

3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
French Fries
Cheese Curds
Green Onions, sliced


Instructions

1. In a slow cooker, combine the beef broth, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, ground ginger, sesame seeds, garlic, rice vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. Phew!

2. Heat a skillet to high heat. Sear your short ribs in the skillet for about 30 seconds each side. Place them in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

3. When you are ready to eat, cook your french fries (go ahead and use frozen ones, I won't judge!).

4. Make your gravy by removing 3 cups of the broth from the slow cooker. Make a roux for the gravy by melting 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Slowly pour in the slow cooker broth, whisking it in as you go. Bring to a simmer to let it thicken up. Once it has thickened, set aside.

5. Compile your poutine by placing the french fries on a plate, top with cheese curds, pour the gravy over, and put some of the short ribs and green onion on top. Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter