Tikel Gomen : Ethiopian Cabbage Dish


I am on a journey. I want to eat more vegetables.

I have several notebooks around the house filled with scribbled lists of ingredients, notes, and lots of smudges and things scratched out. These are my personal recipe books. I don't know that many people would be able to make anything based on these notebooks! I came across this gem with the note that indicated it was fantastic. Why have I not made it in several years?

The best part is it is completely vegetarian and vegan! Whoa. Is this a main dish consisting of veggies? Yes, yes it is. Look at that picture? Half the plate is veggies!


I didn't even take second helpings of rice or flat bread. I definitely served up more veggies though. Okay, maybe the flat bread too. Don't be deceived by the bland yellow coloring. It bursts with flavor! This is a recipe that I'm not going to forget about again. Definitely give it a try. Don't let it scare you because it is Ethiopian. You are sure to love it. There's a reason Ethiopian food is all the rage these days! It is a one pot meal, easy to make, and full of veggies. You know you have to try it now!


Ingredients

1/3 cup olive oil
4 carrots, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 head cabbage, sliced
5 red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces


Instructions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.

2. Toss in the carrots and onion and saute them in the oil for about 5 minutes. 

3. Stir in the seasonings (salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, ginger) and toast for a minute. 

4. Add in the cabbage, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. 

5. Toss in the potatoes and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. (actual time will depend on how big you cut your potatoes). 




Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter