Applesauce: Compote de Pommes Two Ways

applesauce: simple living and eating


Pork chops and applesauce… the line made famous by Bobby Brady is my only association with applesauce.


Click to see scene from the Brady Bunch

I never ate it as a kid.
I never feed it to my kids, and I definitely never made it.

But here I am again thanks to Dorie, spreading my wings and venturing into applesauce. Why not, I tackled pot roast. This should be a piece of cake.

applesauce: simple living and eating

Well, not quite cake, but it was easy after I watched the you tube video on how to use my husband's food mill. You see he was in Iceland while I was making this… yes, Iceland, at an alternative rock concert with his best friends no less… a strange mid-life crisis?

Well, at least I got to sneak off to New York City and meet a fellow Dorista, Trevor for lunch. We went to a very talked about restaurant: ABC Kitchen. The company was much more interesting than the food.

Have I digressed,… yes, applesauce.

girl making applesauce: simple living and eating

With the help of my daughter who cooked down the apples, and basically did the all the work for me; the applesauce was a breeze to make.

We didn't dare to cook the apples skin and core… I was too nervous about using the food mill for the first time to risk it. We did use the coarsest filter on the mill which made a really chunky applesauce. The texture was more to my liking than traditionally smooth applesauce.

I loved the addition of vanilla in this recipe… how perfect, vanilla, butter and apples all work so wonderfully together.

I ate it mixed in my oatmeal for breakfast and on top of yogurt the next day.

Will I make it again… I don't know. I will probably go to Iceland first.


You are invited to join my new linky party. Cook a recipe of your choice from the chosen country and explore the world with us.  Nov 12th we will be sharing dishes from Maylasia



Add your email to our list and I will remind you a week before the party and on the day of the party so you won't forget to link up.







Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 



Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.




This post is being shared on the following food/craft parties. Please check them out: 

Tuesday Food:
Wednesday Food:
Thursday Food:
Friday Food:





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter