Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner #Food of the World


Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner: Simple Living and Eating

It is the Christmas season and I am making and eating a lot of cookies, so when it came time to think of a recipe from Germany my mind went first to cookies and cakes… oh, the German's make such fabulous cookies and cakes, but I really needed something nourishing for myself and my family. 

I realized that I didn't know anything about savory cooking from Germany, so I decide to investigate. Germany is a very large country with many regions and food traditions. My brother-in-law is from the Southern part of Germany, Bavaria which is know for it's good food and beer. I decided to make a savory dish from this region, and because I love peasant cooking, when I came upon recipes for Picheisteiners a traditional stew from the area, I immediately knew I wanted to create my own version.

Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner: Simple Living and Eating

A Picheisteiner is a very adaptable stew that can really be made with any vegetables you have in the fridge that need to be cooked up. The only real requirement seems to be green cabbage and a few types of meats. The seasoning is just a little paprika and parsley. 

Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner: Simple Living and Eating

So enjoy my version or create your own and please if you have any German recipes to share link them up and add the link up to your site.

Happy Holidays,
Diane

Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner: Simple Living and Eating

Slow Cooker German Stew: Picheisteiner

by Diane Balch
simplelivingeating.com

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of melted butter
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 small celery root peeled and chopped or two celery stalks
2 large carrots chopped
1 small green cabbage chopped
1 onion or leek chopped
2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
32 ounces of beef broth
1 pound pork belly or shoulder chopped one inch cubes
1 pound Chuck Beef chopped one inch cubes

Directions:

1) Melt butter and add paprika, parsley, and salt and pepper to it it. Set aside. 

2) Chop up the vegetables put them in the crockpot. Pour beef broth over them. 

3) Chop up the meat and put it on top of vegetables. Pour the butter seasoning mixture over the meat.

4) Stir everything up and let cook on low for 6 hours. Check salt and pepper before serving with a hearty bread like rye, pumpernickel, or sour dough. 

Next month we will travel to China for Chinese New Year that is at the end of January. China is a vast country with so many styles of foods to explore: SIchuan, Anhui, Shandong, Fujian, JiangsuHuaiyang, Hong Kong and Guangdong.



Join us on January 14th to share a Chinese recipe. 

Happy Chinese New Year!


January 14th China



Add your email to our list and I will remind you two weeks before the party and on the day of the party, so you won't forget to link up.


get the InLinkz code

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter