Mango with Coconut Rice: Reminiscing about Hawaii

Mango with Coconut Rice: Simple Living and Eating


When I was in college a friend from Hawaii used always say, " If you ever want to visit, just let me know." I would reply, "Don't offer me an invitation to Hawaii unless you really mean it, cuz I will be on your door step in a heart beat."

mountains in Hawaii
The mountains of Hawaii remind me of Asia.


beach hawaii
The beaches are spectacular but the surf can tear your bathing suit off. 


rainbow hawaii
There is always a rainbow in the sky because there are constantly sun showers.

So when I graduated college, and let me note, flying was cheap in and fun in the 1980's, I got on a plane to LA to visit a friend who was in law school and after a week or so there, I flew over to Hawaii and landed on Joseph's doorstep just like I promised.

mango with coconut rice: Simple Living and Eating

His mother who is Chinese greeted me with much skepticism. She asked me several Confucius like questions: 

"What would you rather be wise or witty?"

"If I was witty, mostly likely, I would be wise because true wit comes from wisdom." 

She liked that answer. 

I passed. 

My reward was fresh mango picked from her yard served with rice in coconut milk. This can be a breakfast, especially if you have leftover rice in the fridge, or a dessert.

Mango with Coconut Rice: Simple Living and Eating

Mango with Coconut Rice

by Diane Balch
simplelivingeating.com

preparation time 15 minutes                       Serves: 4 - 6

Ingredients:

2 cups of cooked Thai Rice or other white rice
1 can of unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 ripe mangos chopped

Directions:

1) Heat coconut milk, sugar, and salt on medium high heat. Whisk it until it is warm and blends together. Do not bring to a boil.

2) Mix about half of the mixture into your rice and decide if it is enough to coat it well. You don't want to make it too wet, but the amount of syrup you mix into the rice is determined by how wet the rice is... dry leftover rice may require the full about.

3) Divide rice into individual cups and top with mango to serve.


This post is shared on the following wonderful food/craft parties:

Tuesday Food:
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop @ Premeditated Leftovers
Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
In & Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big & More
Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen
Tuesday Talent Show @ Chef in Training
Tasty Tuesday #Anyonita Nibbles

Wednesday Food:

Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain 
 Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on Wednesday 
Fresh Foods Wednesdays @ Gastronomical Sovereignty
Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom
Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ All She Cooks
Wednesday Extravaganza @ Hunger Little Girl
Wonderful Wednesdays @Ducks 'n a Row

Thursday Food:

Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive
Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs
Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity
Tasty Thursdays @ The Mandatory Mooch

Friday Food:

Foodie Friday @ Home Maid Simple
Freedom Friday @ My Turn
Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm 
Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss
Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts 
Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club
Friday Linky Party @ The Pin Junkie 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter