Jackfruit Seeds Thoran/Chakka kuru thoran/peera

Jackfruit or Chakka is every malayalees favorite fruit. Now a days in cities it is difficult to get them. Chakkakuru or jackfruit seed is cooked in so many ways and relished by malayalees. I got little chakkakuru and my mom-in-law made this tasty dish.
I am a complete failure when it comes to  clicks (the result u can see). This is the best shot I can get of the thoran after she made it. My mom makes chakkakuru mezhukupuratti (I hope I got the spelling right) that is with coconut slices....mmmmm....the thought of that itself brings nostalgic childhood memories. Well the jackfruit now being scarce I guess I have to wait till I get it next.
Here is how she made it:
She first scraped the outer covering of the seeds and sliced into strips and washed and drained them.( You need lot of patience for this.)
Cleaned sliced seeds-2 cups.
Coconut scraped:-1 cup.
Onion-1.
Chilly powder-1 tsp.
Coriander powder-1 tsp.
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Curry leaves and salt to taste.
Coconut oil: 1-2 tbsp.
Salt to taste.
METHOD:
In a vessel put the seeds, chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric, onion,salt,  and scraped coconut. Add little water and cook the seeds till done.
In another Kadai/Cheenachatti, heat oil, put in mustard seeds, curry leaves, and the cooked seeds and stir fry for a few minutes in low heat.
Your chakkakuru thoran is ready to have with rice :).


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter