Pananjeen (fish eggs).


Amma makes this pananjeen thoran and I used to love to have it with rice. Now my son likes it so much that whenever I get sardine fish eggs it tops my menu list of that day. It is easy to make, but make sure you wash it thoroughly with a teaspoon of vinegar. Amma used to beat the fish eggs in the small chutney grinder, but as it is a tiresome job to clean it afterwards I prefer to smash it with my hands. Always add ½ a tsp of raw rice powder to it.

How amma makes it:

A handful of fish eggs or about ½ cup.
2 tbsp coconut oil.
4,5 shallots.
1/4 cup coconut grated.
3 green chilies chopped.
1 spring curry leaves.
¼ tsp pepper powder.
½ tsp rice flour.

Method:
Put the cleaned and drained fish eggs in a bowel and mash it with your finger tips until almost no lumps are there. Then put in the scraped coconuts, chopped green chilies, salt,  chopped small onions, pepper, rice powder, curry leaves, and salt. Mix nicely with hand. Heat oil in a pan and put this mixture into it and stir well. Cook it for 5 to 10 minutes or until done. Serve hot with rice.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter