Whole wheat Indian flat bread/phulka/roti/chapathi.........step-by-step method.

Yay!!I have 101 followers..I am taking this opportunity to thank all my followers, blogger friends, email subscribers, and guests for visiting my space and for the immense support and encouragement....Thank you all


I got a few mails asking me how to make a roti/phulka....my Indian friends who are experts in roti making please excuse this post.....most days dinner for my family will be roti with some curry.....to compensate my kids indulgence in sinful treats, I always make roti without even a wee bit of ghee or oil.....I usually don't buy whole wheat flour, I always grind wheat in the local mill and store it.....

Phulka is usually made by warming up the roti on both sides in an iron tawa and put on hot coal to puff up....since hot coal is not available, I usually put on gas to puff up, sometimes makes them with just cooking them on the tawa only....that depends on my mood.

Ofcourse, you can knead the dough with ghee/butter/oil to get extra softness....but I just knead the dough with plenty of love till my hands ache to get a smooth dough. Since this is almost a staple food....I try to make it as healthy as possible to compensate on the cakes, cookies, parathas, samosas....

I am giving a detailed explanation on how to puff up the roti......it does not require much expertise....it is just all about the right heating of the roti on the tawa....the 1st side which is put on the tawa must have less spots and the 2nd side must be on the tawa for a few more seconds more to get  more brown spots.......and only the 1st side should be put on the flame.....so lets get cooking!!!

Ingredients:
Whole wheat flour/Atta: 2 cups.
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Water enough to knead the dough.

Method:
1. Put the wheat flour in a bowl, mix with salt, and make a well in the middle, pour about half cup of water and simply mix with your hand adding more water to make it into a dough.




2. Put the dough on the kitchen counter and knead it again preferably with both hands till you get a smooth dough.

3. Pinch off from the dough into equal sized balls and put it back into the same bowl and toss it in flour...so that it does not stick.

4. Simply roll out into a round disc with your rolling pin, dust with a little flour to avoid sticking.

5. Meanwhile heat the tawa to medium heat and put the rolled out roti on to it.

6. Cook till small brown spots appear on it...about 30 seconds.

7. Again turn over and cook the other side, it should have a few more brown spots than the 1st side...about 30-40 seconds.

8. Now put the 1st side (the side which has less brown spots or the side which was first put on the tawa) directly into the flame with the help of a tong....the roti will puff up instantly.

9. Then cook the other side too.

Your phulka is ready.....likewise do the same method with the remaining dough.

Now to make chapathi after both sides are cooked gently press each side with a flat spoon.


or press with a clean kitchen towel

Serve hot with any Veg curry, Channa masala,  or Butter chicken....or can store in a casserole for later use.

Enjoy.....will be back soon.
Sharing with Paisley Passions, Friday food, Fat Camp Friday, Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, I am lovin it, Friday Potluck, made from scratch Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my tummy Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, 

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter