monogrammed canvas

I wanted to decorate more with the extra damask tissue paper I have, and I needed some artwork... so voila! I came up with a monogrammed canvas! It was so easy, and I love it!!

All you need is:
- tissue paper/regular paper/any kind of paper that you love the design of
- sponge brush
- acrylic paint
- Chip Decor letters (2 small, one large)
- Mod Podge, I used the matte version
- canvas (I bought a two pack, I have plans for another project!)

 I painted the letters, front and sides and let dry. I painted 2 coats. You could also Mod Podge paper on these instead if you want that look, be creative!

 While the letters were drying, I painted Mod Podge all over the canvas. I put it on pretty thick, so I would have time to adjust the paper before it dried. I was originally going for a smooth look, but it started crinkling and it would tear. So, I crinkled it all over and I like the "antique" look I was left with. If you have big air bubbles you can't get out, poke it with a pin and press the air out. Paint over the entire covered canvas again with Mod Podge, and let dry.
After letting the canvas dry, I decided to paint the edges. You can really do anything you want, I was debating painting it or lining it with ribbon. But since it was turning out a little aged anyway, I painted the edges with acrylic paint, and blotted around the front edge to give it that distressed look. I love it!!
 Then it was time to glue the letters on. It took a lot of measuring and adjusting, stepping back, adjusting and measuring some more. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I probably overdid it a little. Anyway, once you have them lined up and ready, take a pencil and lightly trace around 2 of the corners of each letter (so you can put them back where they belong). Then I used Amazing Goop glue and dotted the back of each letter. You have a little time to adjust them once you place the letters on the canvas. Line them back up with the marks you made and press down lightly on the letters. I let my canvas sit overnight and it seems to have dried perfectly! You can set a book or something on top of the letters, but try not to get anything too heavy so it doesn't stretch the canvas in or make it tear. I was a little paranoid. :)
After it's dry, it's ready to hang!! I love that canvases don't need any hanging contraptions or anything. I always seem to put them on crooked... Anyway, here is the finished monogrammed canvas!!
Linking to these parties!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter