Rajma Curry/Spicy Kidney Beans Curry.


I love Rajma and this is my favorite curry with roti..... when I cook for my family, it's often a little of this, a dash of that, a taste test, test again, add some salt, taste again, oh yeah! needs another splash of this etc etc.....this is how I do my everyday cooking....of course with Baking I am very strict... I follow the recipe down to the last detail.
Summer is at its peak and we had gone to Wayanad to escape from this heat.....kids enjoyed the short break and we all had a great time...the weather was pleasant...I mean perfect weather!!!
Now back to cooking!! Rajma curry is a typical Punjabi dish...and needs plenty of oil to bring out its taste....Since I am trying to reduce oil intake....I prepared this with the minimum oil and still could bring out thick spicy gravy....so starting today, check out for low-oil curries!!

Some of the red beans/rajma that I had soaked to make this curry. I soaked it for about 6 to 7 hours.
I tried to reduce the oil to 2 dsp and made this gravy in a non stick pan.....then along with it and the rajma I pressure cooked it for 15 min. These days I am trying to reduce the oil intake of my family.....it is best to slow cook the gravy right from the beginning....

Ingredients:
Rajma: 500 gms, cleaned and soaked.
Onion: 2 medium, sliced.
Green chilly: 2, slit.
Ginger: 1" piece, grated.
Garlic: 1/2 pod, grated.
Tomato: 2, cubed.
Red chilly powder: 2 tsp, I used Kashmiri chilly, if using ordinary red chilly powder reduce 1 tsp.
Coriander powder: 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp.
Garam masala: 1 tsp.
Oil: 2 dsp.
Salt to taste.
Cardamom, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon: 2 or 3 each.
Coriander leaves.

Method:
1. Heat 2 dsp oil (I used sunflower oil) in a nonstick pan. When the oil is hot put in all the spices and let it splutter. Add the sliced onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic, and salt. In slow heat let it saute till the onions turn  light brown colour.
2. Add the red chilly, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, fry till the raw smell goes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and a little water (this is for the tomatoes to incorporate). Fry till the oil comes out.

4. Put the drained and soaked rajma in a pressure cooker, pour in some water, and the above masala, mix well, add salt if needed and pressure cook for 15 min. Open cooker and sprinkle coriander leaves and let it sit for another 10 min.....your spicy rajma curry is ready!!!

Serve hot with roti!!

Sharing with Fat camp Friday, Hearth and soul hop.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter