Soya Chunks-Green Peas Pulao

Happy Independence Day to all my friends!!!

After reading about the immense health benefits of soya..... I now try to include soya in my cooking..            

Since my kids love pressure cooker biriyani and vegetable pulao which I make in pressure cooker, I wondered why not make a pulao with soya chunks and peas. My kids are picky eaters, if they find soya chunks in their plate they sure will pick them and keep aside in their plates. So I grinded them, after putting them in hot water for 10 min and then drained them and again poured cold water on them and drained and squeezed them twice. I grinded the squeezed out chunks in my grinder.....  I added this into the masala and fried a bit before adding to the rice.......next time I am sure to add some vegetables along with it.....my kids didn't know that there was "soya chunks" in the pulao and they liked it so much. They thought it was just "peas pulao" and Nidhi even wondered aloud "why Amma dint put any other vegetables other than just plain peas".

Coming back to pressure cooker biriyani, which I had posted  long back....I make pulao and biriyani veg/non veg in my pressure cooker....of course I do make dum biriyani but the most preferable one is the cooker biriyani....

coz I love the rice cooked along with the vegetables or chicken or mutton....that gives an exquisite taste and flavor with all the spices blended with the rice.......the pulao version is almost the same except that I do not add any masala powder except the garam masala and I also reduce the ginger and garlic by half.

How I made them:
Soya chunks: 1 cup.
Green peas: 1/2 cup
Basmati rice: 2 cups.
Water: 4 cups.

To grind:
Coriander leaves: 1 handful.
Mint leaves: 1 sprig.(optional).
Green chilly: 2 or 3 (depending on how much hot u can handle).
Garlic: 1 pod.
Ginger: 1" inch.


For sautéing:
Cardamon: 5
Cinnamon: 1 piece.
Cloves: 5.
Onion: 2, sliced.
Tomato: 2, chopped.
Garam masala: 1 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp.
Lemon: ½.
Salt to taste.


For garnishing:
Cashew nuts: 10 to 15.
Raisins: 10 to 15.
Fried onions (fry half onion).
Green peas.
Coriander leaves.


#Here in this pulao I just used green peas and coriander leaves to garnish, you can fry cashew nuts, raisins, and onion in ghee sprinkle them on top of the pulao, I just wanted it to look colorful, so used green peas and coriander leaves.

Method:
1.Put the soya chunks in boiling water and let it stand for 10 min. Strain the water and squeeze out the remaining water and again pour in some water and drain and squeeze...do this twice. Now grind the squeezed chunks in the small grinder and keep aside. In small mixie bowel put in green chilies, coriander leaves, pudina leaves, ginger, garlic, and grind them coarsely and keep aside. Wash and put the rice onto a sieve.
2. Heat ghee/vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil) or any refined oil in a pressure cooker. Put in cardamon, cinnamon, and cloves.
3. Add the sliced onions and fry till it is light brown. Put in the grinded masala and fry till the raw smell goes.

4.     Add turmeric and garam masala fry for a minute and add the chopped tomatoes, salt, and fry till it is well incorporated and oil comes on top.
5.      Add the grinded soya chunks  and 1/2 cup green peas and mix it well for about 3 or 4 minutes.
6.      Pour 4 cups of water into it and let it boil. Squeeze ½ lime into it and put in the strained rice. Check salt and close cooker (do not put weight). When steam comes put the fire on low and wait for 7 minutes. Open after 10 to 20  minutes and mix well with a spoon.
7.      Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and green peas.  

Serve hot with curd and pickle. 


YUM!!!


Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter