Lentil Lemon & Tuna Salad: French Fridays with Dorie

Lentil Tuna Salad with Ciabatta Rolls and Olive Tapenade

I really need to read through Dorie's recipes more thoroughly beforehand... this little tuna salad required making three dishes. 

It would have been a great use of leftovers if I had on hand the French Lentils and the Black Olive Tapenade.  I whipped these up without much difficulty... and I really liked their individual tastes. 

When I returned to the Lentil Lemon & Tuna Salad recipe I was hesitate to mix everything together. So, instead I made a small batch of the tuna salad and served the lentils and the tapenade with Ciabatta rolls and European butter. Last minute I sautéed up some spicy sausage just in case the kids didn't go for the tuna as dinner.

I was worrying about the kids not liking the tuna when in fact it was me who was not crazy about it. I even used Tonno tuna instead of chunk light tuna, but the dish just left me flat.

I have a really great lentil salad recipe in which you roast beets and fry goat cheese - now that is an exciting lentil salad. It has sweetness, creaminess, and savory lentils.(I'll post it soon.) 

This salad did have the brightness of lemons. I used juice and zest not preserved lemons. The lentil dish mixed with the tapenade just didn't work for me. I felt that the saltiness of the tapenades cancelled out the interesting note of cognac in the lentils.

As part of a meal it was tasty, and it is probably very nice for lunch on a hot afternoon - most especially it is a terrific use of left over French Lentils and Black Olive Tapenade, but it is these individual recipes that are really the more interesting dishes.





Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter