Blueberry Mascarpone Roulade: French Fridays with Dorie

Blueberry Mascarpone Rouldade
Blueberry Mascarpone Roulade

"Both homey and sophisticated..." I think Dorie got this dessert exactly right. It was also a perfect dessert for a summer evening. The sponge cake is light and airy and the filling is sweet but not sickening, creamy without being heavy. The blueberries are a nice pop of flavor especially because they were cooked in sugar. My kids loved making seltzer with the left over blueberry syrup... not for me but they found it novel.

My 10 year old pastry chef had never made a jelly roll before and was quiet excited by the prospect of it, of course the instructions were not specific enough, and my daughter forgot to line the baking sheet with a non-stick liner, so the first cake stuck. We enjoyed nibbling on the broken pieces while she made another cake. The trials of learning to how to cook something new.

Fortunately, the night we served this roulade for dessert we had a light meal of black bean tortillas which left plenty of room in our bellies to feast on this heavenly cake. We have already decided to make this dessert for friends that are visiting us from Bulgaria next week. I can see trying different berries in it, even peaches might be nice. A wonderful, versatile cake... great ONE!



Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 







Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter