BREAKFAST-IN-BED BAKED EGGS


I like to mix sweet and savory for breakfast so when I saw this recipe for Breakfast-in-Bed Baked Eggs in my latest Everyday Food magazine, I knew I wanted to try it. This is from the Cooking with Emeril section, and to be honest, most of Emeril's recipes contain obscure ingredients, which I'm not a fan of. Surprisingly enough, this recipe was simple and it turned out delicious. Most egg breakfast dishes contain several eggs, so I also liked that this recipe only has 2 eggs and still manages to serve 6 people.

I forced myself to follow the directions as closely as possible, but really when it comes to the add-ins, you can get creative. Add diced tomatoes and mushrooms. Top with grated cheese and salsa. Switch out the ham for bacon. See? Add in what you'd like!


Breakfast-in-Bed Baked Eggs

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups milk
2 TBSP butter
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced ham
1/2 cup cheese- original recipe calls for Gruyere, which is similar to Swiss
salt, pepper and chives to taste

Mix together flour, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center. Separate eggs and combine the yolks with the milk. Add to flour mixture and whisk to form a smooth batter.


Let rest for 30 minutes or overnight.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter 6 four-ounce ramekins {or spray with cooking oil} and place them on a rimmed cookie sheet.

Saute onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Add in ham and toss lightly, just to coat with butter and heat it up a bit. Divide mixture among ramekins.


Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. I used my immersion blender! Gently fold into batter. Spoon over onion mixture and sprinkle with chives.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve with fresh fruit and a side a bacon!

Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter