PUMPKIN BREAKFAST CAKE

I've been substituting pumpkin in several of my recipes lately and thought this breakfast cake turned out especially delicious. I love having both sweet and savory with breakfast- serve this with a side of fresh fruit and bacon. Yum! I couldn't find a pumpkin breakfast cake recipe I liked, so I made changes to one I already had. {Original recipe here.}

Pumpkins are cheap right now in stores, so carve them just before Halloween, then bake them and turn those jack-o-lanterns into pumpkin puree! If you've never done this before, don't worry, you can read here about how to make pumpkin puree.

You can assemble the entire cake the night before, then refrigerate overnight if you'd like. Just take it out about 30 minutes prior to putting it in the oven, to allow it to warm up a bit before cooking. {Even if you don't do this, it will be fine, you'll just have to adjust the cooking time a bit.}

Pumpkin Breakfast Cake

Cake:
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
Streusel Topping:
  • 1/2 cup oats {I used old fashioned}
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 TBSP milk
Combine all ingredients for cake, mix well and pour into a 9x13 pan. Blend streusel topping, cutting in the cold butter until mixture is crumbly. {I use a fork and a knife to do this since I don't have a pastry cutter.}Sprinkle across top of unbaked cake.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. While cooling, whisk the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle all over cake and allow it to cool for another 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter