HOMEMADE GRILLED CHICKEN FLAT BREAD

I have a fun, easy summer dinner recipe to share with you all today. My husband took me out to dinner at the Olive Garden a few weeks ago and I had an appetizer called Grilled Chicken Flat Bread. It was delicious and I made sure to analyze it as I ate it, so that I could come home and recreate the dish!

I made some adjustments in an effort to make it a bit healthier. I used this flat bread recipe from Allrecipes.com that uses half whole wheat flour. I also used a garlic white sauce instead of Alfredo. It's a really good sauce and we had it leftover from pasta the night before. The toppings you use can vary- I think just about anything from the garden right now would be a great addition! I was all out of zucchini, but loved the artichoke hearts, fresh tomato and sliced pepper on ours.

The flat bread recipe is a keeper! I made ours fairly thin, but the dish was filling enough, I don't think I'll change the thickness in the future. The recipe came together so fast and the dough was super easy to work with. The whole process took about 30 minutes and I have enough for 2 dinners! We used 6, then I have 6 waiting in the freezer for the next meal.

So here it is...

Homemade Grilled Chicken Flat Bread

Garlic White Sauce {modified Mornay Sauce recipe from the I Do Cookbook}
  •  2 TBSP butter
  • 1 1/2 TBSP flour
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Salt & pepper
Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour, adding chicken broth as the flour/butter mixture thickens. Continue adding broth and whisking to keep sauce smooth. Gradually add in milk. Continue to whisk. Add in garlic and a dash of salt and pepper. Heat just until boiling, until sauce thickens.

{Note: I doubled this recipe and used half over fettuccine pasta with grilled chicken the first night. I made these flat breads the next night, using the rest of the sauce and leftover grilled chicken. Just an idea!}

Topping Ideas:
  • grilled chicken
  • mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • sliced fresh tomato
  • sliced pepper
  • sliced olives
  • marinated artichoke hearts
  • fresh basil
  • grilled sausage
  • sliced zucchini
  • whatever you'd like!!

Flat Bread:
  • 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature {I used about 3/4 TBSP lemon juice in regular milk, instead of buttermilk} 

Combine all ingredients and knead dough for 30 seconds on a well-floured surface.

Cut dough into 12 segments. Cover dough sections to prevent drying. Roll segments of dough into balls and pat into a flat circle. Using a rolling pin, flatten dough into 6-8" circles. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5 minutes. Add toppings and bake for another 7-8 minutes.
I used the oven for eveything, but you can cook the flatbread and pizzas on the stove if you'd like. I imagine you could even grill them to avoid heating up the house at all!
I made some with more kid friendly toppings, as well as some for my husband and I, with more adventurous toppings.
Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter