LUNCHBOX DELIGHT SNACK COOKIES

I tried a new recipe for healthy lunchbox cookies this week and my family devoured them! I've tried many a healthy cookie recipe, but these are our favorites. I found the recipe in the September, 2011 edition of Women's Day magazine, one of my favorite sources for new recipes. OK, so I say healthy, but I say that liberally as this recipe does contain two, yes two sticks of butter. No wonder we liked them so much!

My original plan was to make these and freeze them for use during the first few months of the school year, but after half disappeared the first day, I abandoned that plan. That and I think they're a little too dry to freeze. If you'd like them for later on, I recommend shaping the dough into balls and freezing those on a cookie sheet instead, transferring them to a ziplock bag once frozen. When you're ready to eat them, cook a dozen at a time.

They're technically snack-type treats, but I've been eating them for breakfast for days. Add some fruit and a glass of milk and I've been a happy camper. {Which, these days, is really saying something!}

Lunchbox Delights

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour {I used whole wheat flour}
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup {2 sticks} unsalted butter at room temperature {or use salted butter and decrease salt by 1/4 tsp}
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla, beating lightly until mixed.

Add in dry ingredients, making sure to mix thoroughly after each addition. Add oats, chocolate chips and cherries last.
Drop 1 TBSP sized mounds onto sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes. Enjoy!

Makes 3-4 dozen.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter