TORTILLA SOUP WITH BLACK BEANS


Shopping and getting great deals on food items is a big accomplishment! However, the real goal is making it all into delicious, satisfying meals that are both good for your family and good to your budget. As my husband is currently unemployed, I'm trying to stretch our food budget farther than I've ever stretched it before! This month, my normal food budget is cut in half and so I've decided to not go grocery shopping until next Friday, 4/10. I'm planning on utilizing the items I have on hand- wish me luck!

This week, due to the Smith's case lot sale, I have a lot of canned foods. This is a great recipe that is very easy to make and very inexpensive. All the canned foods combined are only $2.00, so I estimate this dinner to be about $3.50, or about .70 per serving.


Tortilla Soup with Black Beans

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can sweet corn
1 cup shredded chicken (optional!)
1 tablespoon lime juice

Add ins:
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
salt & pepper to taste
shredded cheese & sour cream, as toppings if desired

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add chili powder, mix well. Add all remaining ingredients, except add-ins. Bring to a low boil for about 2-3 minutes. Simmer for at least 1/2 hour, preferably 1 hour. Dish into bowls, allow everyone to add their own toppings- chips, cheese, etc. Enjoy!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter