Burger Mania!:Healthy Eating


I come from a sausage manufacturing family, you may have heard of 
PERRI’s & SONS Italian sausage.

Needless to say my family never ate beef. 

Even when we barbecued we had sausage and peppers, maybe some pork hot dogs, we distributed Hummels hotdogs. Occasionally, my father would make sausage burgers.

The All-American Hamburger is quite foreign to me.


I cooked burgers for my kids and their friends for the first time EVER just last week. I was laughing at how nervous I was about making something most Americans eat every week. What can I say I grew up with calamari in my tomato sauce, and artichokes were my favorite vegetable?


Well, burgers are great, as long as you don’t make them TOO BIG, remember a serving of any meat shouldn’t be larger than a deck of cards. I love how a burger can be so quick and easy to cook.  And most importantly, everyone likes them! 

Even if you are not vegetarian you really should try a veggie burgers, or even a tuna burger once in a while, they are definitely healthier, and lower in fat and calories than beef burgers. So here are some recipes that you might like to try if your picnic burger is starting to get a little boring.

Mini Man Burger

My husband has made these "Mini Man Burgers" many times. To me they are just the right size and the flavoring is classic.

Portobello Burger Caramelized Onions & Aioli Cornbread Bun
Here is a gluten-free version of a classic mushroom burger. Love the toppings!

Black Bean Veggie Burger
I love this black bean burger it is healthy and it has great spicy seasoning.

Tuna Patties
Tuna burger recipes that ask for fresh tuna are great if you have leftovers. I like this recipe because it is simple and uses canned tuna.

Moist Turkey Burgers
My only complaint about turkey burgers is they can be dry. I like a recipe that adds an egg or two.This is a good basic recipe that you can change around to your tastes. Substituting other sauces for barbecue sauce.


Weekly Meal Plan: 

Sunday: Eggplant Rollatini with Garlicky Pasta

Meatless Monday: Chickpea Patties on Pita with a Cucumber Salad

Tuesday: Chipotle & Onion Burgers with Pickles and Green Salad 

Wednesday: Fresh Herb Omelets topped with Creme Fraiche with Tomato Salad

Thursday: Antipasto Salad: Greens, Salami, Pickled Vegetables and Feta Cheese. Side of Italian Bread.


Saturday: Scarole & Beans

Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter