BUTTER VS. CRISCO: A CONFESSION & A QUESTION

Butter with a side of Bread butter vs crisco
I do realize there is a severe dose of irony in the fact that I will now publicly confess how much of a non-cook I really am. A few days after Jessica approached me with the invitation to join in on this fantabulous project, my husband commented, “So… does this mean you’ll actually be… cooking?” I then proceeded to chase him from the kitchen wielding a sharp object. 

I come from a mama who can cook, like, for-real cook. My mom learned from my grandma, who is a 4’ tall Sicilian immigrant, so, clearly I was raised with simple but insanely delicious food. When I married Mike I quickly realized that no matter how long I spent in the kitchen, his reaction to said dinner would be somewhat similar to my presenting him with a bowl of Lucky Charms. Actually, the Lucky Charms would hands-down win “Best Dinner Ever” if served in a massive mixing bowl. Oh! With a Pepsi on the side. Am I sharing too much? Are you wanting to run away from this “food blog” screaming? WELL, HALT! (Oh, let me add that my Lucky-Charm-devouring husband hasn't gained a pound in ten years. Don’t you just hate him!?! Now you know why I am not afraid to chase him with sharp objects- it makes me feel better sometimes.) Ok, here it comes: after 7 years of marriage, I have become a slacker in the kitchen. Alas, I am now publicly committing to be better about cooking. And baking. But know that these are baby steps I’m embarking on. And you have to be patient with my frequent confusion. And need for clarification and guidance. 

Three paragraphs in, this leads me to the actual point of this post- can someone please tell me the difference between butter and Crisco when baking? I was always a butter-user, but recently I keep hearing people say (with judgment in their eyes), “Whaaa? You are always supposed to use Crisco in cookies! Not butter! You… You… You… Novice! No wonder you fail.” Rude! Well, my rebuttal is promptly, “Hullo, the name of the blog IS ‘Butter with a side of Bread…’ sooooo……?” (At which point my stare is equally as judgmental with a not-so-subtle zing of “BOO-YA, Buster!”) 

Now that we can’t make eye contact, do tell. Butter? Crisco? Does it matter? Let's hear it...

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter