Warm Scallop Salad with Corn, Nectarines, and Basil: French Fridays with Dorie

Warm Scallop Salad with Corn, Nectarine & Basil

This dish was truly worthy of gourmet treatment. I can see how each layer of the dish was designed to be a different taste and texture experience from the topping of Basil Coulis to the sweet grilled nectarine and rich corn salad all brought together by the succulent flavor of grilled scallops.

But I didn't have time for gourmet. I had kids to deal with and the dog really needed a walk. So I simplified this recipe and made it more of a mid-week meal. Here is what I did:

1) While waiting for the skillet to heat up and the water to boil for the corn, I whisked the dressing together in a large mixing bowl.

2) Cooked a bag of frozen corn for 3 minutes and mixed it with the dressing.

3) Pan seared the nectarines and chopped them up into small pieces (I saved one half to try as a layer.) and added it to the corn salad.

4) Chopped the tomatoes added it to the corn salad.

5) Made the basil coulis added it to the corn salad.

6) Walked the dog.

7) Upon my return I pan seared the scallops and served them on top of the corn salad.

I loved the dish. Each bit offered a different flavor experience: sweetness from the nectarine, which really did acquire an almost wine like flavor when grilled, to the brightness of the basil and lime, and the crunch of the corn all topped with one of the simplest and most delicious seafoods: scallops. 


Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 




Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter