9-11 Poached Apples: French Fridays with Dorie

poached apples
Spiced Poached Apples

9/11 is a bad day to make a dessert. 

11 years I have been holding my emotions about that day and for some reason this anniversary they decided to come out. My husband was in Altanta on a business trip and I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter the day of the terrorist attacks.

I was driving my son to his first day of preschool that morning. As I was driving and listening to WNYC our local National Public Radio Station the commentator announced that a plane had just flown into a tower of the World Trade Center. “How odd I thought?” and then the broadcast blacked out. Their transmitter was on top of the second tower that was hit.

My next thought was, “Really, I’m going to die on Interstate 684, that’s it?” When I arrived at my son’s preschool everyone was just as bewildered as me. None of us could comprehend what was happening as we watched our children frolic around so excited to be starting school.

My neighbor lost his brother that day. My son’s friend’s father a firefighter left behind 4 children and a pregnant wife. One of my best friend’s husband’s entire fire department died. He was on desk time because of an injury.

All of this sorrow burst forth while I drove around town looking for Star Anise to make poached apples. I finally found them in an Asian market 4 towns away.

Back at home with all of the ingredients in hand I set to work mixing up the syrup. The instructions seemed simple enough that I didn’t feel the need to ask my almost 11 year old pastry chef to assist me. Once everything was mixed together I set it to simmer, put the timer on, or so I thought, and made myself a drink.

The fire alarm didn’t go off when the syrup over flowed and almost caught fire, but it probably should of considering the amount of smoke in the house. Thank goodness there still was enough syrup left to poach the apples. I was satisfied, and went back to my drink.

The kids complained that the apples tasted like pure honey. I could smell the Star Anise, but I couldn’t taste it. I know what I did wrong. Dorie didn’t say to remove the vanilla, Star Anise, and orange rind,  but I did. I just put the sauce over the apples. The left over sauce with the seasoning still in it tasted much better. 


poached apple rice pudding
poached apple over rice pudding


Even though we tried putting the apples over both rice pudding, much too sweet,  

poached apple ice cream
poached apple over vanilla ice cream


and vanilla ice cream, a bit better, but we were not thrilled... 

nothing made them taste good.  

It was a sorrowful dessert for a sorrowful day.

Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 

 







Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter